Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Engine Opening

It's been a while since the last post. I was busy eating Turkey and spending Thanksgiving with my family so there wasn't much time for working on the bike. I have managed to spend a few hours on and off over the past few days dismantling more. I ran into a couple of snags along the way and have resolved one of them so far.
Getting the timing unit off the end of the shaft so I could open up the timing side case was the first problem and the one I managed to solve. There is a tool for pulling this plate off the end of the shaft but I don't own it so I had to improvise something. Once this was out of the way I got the timing side cover removed.









From here it was simple to get the inner case open to expose the gearbox and some nasty grunge.




The other side of the engine is where problem number two is. I can't remove the clutch mechanism from the shaft. I've tried the Haynes improvised tool but it doesn't budge - even a little. I think I'm going to have to find the tool. In the mean time I have the gearbox to disassemble and the wheels to attend to. That should keep me busy while I find the tool.

The other item to procure is a set of Whitworth wrenches. I've been trying to snag a set on e-bay but the prices have been higher than I want to pay so far. I've found some new wrench sets I can get for about the same price as the old ones so I'll probably be ordering some of those for Christmas.


2 comments:

  1. Oooh, looks familiar....all those cogs and things...good luck with the project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice grunge

    ReplyDelete