In order to get things moving forward again I sent some parts off to a machinist who specializes in restorations and has experience with old Triumphs, some of them Cubs. I packed up the head, barrel and old piston and sent them off to Baxter Cycle in Marne, Iowa. About 5 days after dropping the box off at the post office I got a call from their machinst. After a brief chat about my options and extimated costs we had a plan. The very next day the phone rang and my parts were ready to be shipped back. In the reassembled head I had: 2 new valves, 2 new valve guides, miscelaneous washers and a cleaned and painted head. The barrel got a re-bore and a new piston and rings to match. It was also cleaned up and painted to match the head.
This post can't go without a few pictures.
As you can see, Baxter Cycle did great work and I was shocked how quickly they got my little job finished up.
I've got to get some parts ordered so I can start reassembly. There is still the hi-gear bearing to remove from the case and some general cleanup but that can happen while I wait for parts to arrive. I'd better get ordering.
More pictures again next time.