Sunday, April 15, 2012
Engine Work Gets Going... Finally
The first photo is the engine as I left it on the bench after today's work. I started with the cases just having received their new bearings and seals. I did that work but by bit over the past few weeks. Today I installed the crank, rejoined the cases, installed the gearset, oil pump, cam, timing gears, tappets (or cam-followers, or lifters or whatever other term you want to use), and installed the inner cover. I think that covers it. No issues really, other than the main shaft binding when I tightened up the inner cover. Had an extra washer on the mainshaft which caused the binding.
There is still a looooong way to go but I'm happy with the progress today. Here are more pictures from the day.
I did have one other problem. The oil level tube on the drain plug had a bit of a hole. Have to get a new one on the way before I fill her up with oil.